Utah Goes Solar with SunPower®
Where ideas connect and solar saves
The state of solar in Utah
At 238 sunny days per year, Utah sunshine is well above the U.S. average of 205 days of sunshine.* While Utah’s electricity costs aren’t the highest, that abundant sunshine makes solar a very appealing alternative for homeowners and businesses. And on days when extreme weather causes a power outage, solar battery storage can provide backup power when homeowners need it most.
Utah’s energy efficiency policy and program efforts rank it 22nd in the nation, according to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE).* About 91% of rooftops in Utah are solar viable, which means the state has ample opportunities to utilize solar as a source of clean energy in a way few other states can.*
- *. BestPlaces. Climate in Utah (accessed August 16, 2021). https://www.bestplaces.net/climate/state/Utah
- *. ACEEE. State Scorecard Rank | ACEEE (accessed August 16, 2021). https://database.aceee.org/state-scorecard-rank
- *. Google Project Sunroof. Data Explorer | Utah (accessed August 16, 2021). https://sunroof.withgoogle.com/data-explorer/place/ChIJzfkTj8drTIcRP0bXb...
How much solar energy does Utah produce?
Data from the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) indicates that the number of megawatts for Utah’s solar installations ranks 12th in the U.S.* About 8.34% of the state's electricity comes from solar, powering 442,889 homes. Utah has 50,755 solar installations, the most noteworthy being the Utah Red Hills Renewable Energy Park and 3 MW, Buckhorn Solar Plant. Information about other solar installations is available on SEIA’s website.*
- *. SEIA. Utah Solar | SEIA (accessed August 16, 2021). https://www.seia.org/state-solar-policy/utah-solar
- *. SEIA. Major Solar Projects List | SEIA (accessed August 16, 2021). https://www.seia.org/research-resources/major-solar-projects-list
What are the advantages of going solar in Utah?
Utah residents rank 50th among other states for the average retail price of electricity to the residential sector. As of April 2021, statistics from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) show that residents of Utah pay an average price of 10 cents per kilowatt-hour, which is at the low end of the range of what other American states pay, on average.
It’s important to know that solar power reduces your bill by however much solar energy your system produces. In addition, solar equipment can last 30 years, saving system owners around $20K in energy costs over 25 years. A few other benefits of converting sunlight into electricity are better air quality, CO2 reduction, and good jobs in an industry poised for growth.
How much does solar cost in Utah?
Even in the same state, home solar system costs can vary due to a range of factors, including:
Percentage of shaded roof
Household’s energy needs
Quality of the solar system’s panel and parts
To help you understand the price of going solar in your area, we've analyzed SunPower price quotes, as well as quotes gathered by third-party sources for thousands of homeowners across the country.
In Utah, we found that the cost of owning a 5 kW solar system ranges from $13,900 to $34,750, or in other words, from $2.78 to $6.95 per watt. And that's before considering the benefits of any available tax credits or incentives.
What to consider when going solar in Utah
In Utah, homeowners may claim the federal residential solar energy tax credit for new solar photovoltaic systems installed by December 31, 2023.*
Across the U.S., solar panel prices have dropped 43% since 2016 and 80% over the last ten years, making an excellent case for solar in Utah. In addition, Utah has laws and rebates for solar energy, including:*
Utah Solar Easement and Access Laws*
Dominion Energy - Residential Solar Assisted Water Heating Rebate Program*
- *. Tax credits and incentives are subject to change. Visit dsireusa.org for detailed solar policy information.
- *. DSIRE. Programs | Utah Solar (accessed August 16, 2021). https://programs.dsireusa.org/system/program
- *. DSIRE. Programs | Utah Solar Easement and Access Laws (accessed August 16, 2021). https://programs.dsireusa.org/system/program/detail/312/utah-solar-easem...
- *. DSIRE. Programs | Dominion Energy - Residential Solar Assisted Water Heating Rebate Program (accessed August 16, 2021). https://programs.dsireusa.org/system/program/detail/3316/dominion-energy...
What's the best way to go solar in Utah?
Sunshine is a clean energy resource that reduces electricity costs without harming the environment. Conducting independent research to find a professional installer will help you achieve a quality result that exhibits durability over time.
Consulting with a professional ensures you’ll receive a design meets your needs. A premium solar system installed by a professional service provider will also provide the best return on investment and overall satisfaction.
An expert solar provider can recommend an installation guaranteed to be functional, practical, and pleasing to the eye while ensuring you leverage credits, rebates, and other incentives to maximize savings on installation costs.
SunPower® Design Studio
See what your home looks like with solar
SunPower currently creates thousands of solar designs per week for our customers. Now we can create thousands per second.